Learning to play a new game always seems to be a mixture of fun and frustration. When you are learning how to play ping pong, you are probably excited about the potential when it comes to playing the game itself, yet you may experience a great degree of frustration if you are trying to learn the rules. Like most games, it can be frustrating at times. However, it does not have to be.
This is a guide that is supposed to be meant for beginners in order to teach them how to play ping pong in a way that is fun and challenging at the same time. After you have done your homework and learned about ping pong tables and ping pong paddles, you want to learn how to play and get really good at the game. This is a guide that you can use for all types of table tennis tables, even for use on an outdoor ping pong table.
In reality, it is not about the type of table that you are using, even though they may have different types of surfaces that cause the ball to respond differently. It is much more about developing solid methods of play and practicing often enough to become proficient.
Top 5 Best Ping Pong Table Reviews In 2016
|Model||Wheels||Dimensions||Indoor/ Outdoor:||Link||Our Review|
|JOOLA Rally TL 300||3”||108" x 60" x 30"||Outdoor||Check on Amazon.com||Read full Review|
|STIGA InstaPlay||3”||108" x 60" x 30"||Indoor||Check on Amazon.com||Read full Review|
|Kettler Axos 1||4.5'' single wheel casters||108" x 60" x 30"||Outdoor||Check on Amazon.com||Read full Review|
|Kettler Champ 3.0||2.5"||108" x 60" x 30"||Outdoor||Check on Amazon.com||Read full Review|
|Butterfly Personal Rollaway||5" Double Wheels||108" x 60" x 30"||Outdoor||Check on Amazon.com||Read full Review|
Play for Fun
When you are just starting out, the most effective way to learn how to play well is to play for fun. If you start out by reading a rulebook, you will probably get tired of reading it and abandon the entire idea before you even touch an actual paddle. However, if you find a friend or family member and you just start playing because you enjoy it, you can get excited about the game. Even if you are using some techniques that are less than stellar, you are still learning the basic mechanics that are required to play the game. The more excited you get, the more you want to learn and this makes you become a better player.
Becoming More Proficient
The best way to become more proficient in anything is to simply keep doing it. The more you practice, the better you will get. However, there are a couple of things that you can learn that are more specific, all of which will help you become more proficient almost instantly.
- Paddle Grip- Learning to grip the paddle correctly is one of the easiest ways to get better at the game. If you grip it incorrectly, it will be more difficult for you to play the game and beat an opponent. Learning to have a grip that is firm, yet flexible will help you get better and better as you go along.
- Move Your Feet- For some reason, it seems like a lot of people have a tendency to stand in one place and lurch their body from side to side when they are playing. This makes for an awkward method of play, to say the least. If you simply move your feet while you are playing, you will instantly become a better player and have more fun at the same time.
Learning as You Go
Just like anything else, being able to learn as you go makes the entire process far more interesting. As you learn to play the game, you naturally become better and better. Of course, there are a few things that help you get as much out of each and every game as you possibly can. It is not at all uncommon to have someone start out that is really not that good and then see them blossom into a truly good table tennis player with a little practice and effort. When you are learning as you go, there are essentially three things that you need to keep in mind that will help you become a better player.
- Learn Body Language- Body language is one of those things that some people take for granted and others use to fake out their opponents. However, your body language will help you become a better player if you learn to be a more relaxed individual. Make sure that your body is not tense and that you are not jerking when it comes to your movements. This will help you get better over time.
- Stay Ready- Even though you want to be with more relaxed, you need to stay at the ready at all times. Good players are able to fire the ball back relatively quickly, so the more that you learn to stay prepared, the better your chances are of returning the ball as opposed to missing it.
- Understand Spin- Spin is a technique that is used by advanced players to make it more difficult to return the ball. It is a rather complex thing to learn how to do properly but it is definitely a technique that can be learned as long as you are willing to put in the time and the effort. The sooner you learn how to do it, the sooner you will become a good player.
As you can see, there is a lot to learn. With that being said, you can start out playing just for fun and then learn more about the rules as you go along. To find out more, visit Tabletennis.about.com or www.newgy.com